These days, people are moving to Austin from all over the country. That said, we’ve seen a major influx of newly-minted Austinites from Houston lately! Wondering why so many people have been moving from Houston to Austin? We have a few theories:
1. The weather is just right. We can’t say it doesn’t get hot on a summer day in Austin, but we don’t have that sticky Gulf Coast humidity that makes your hair go crazy and your makeup melt in seconds. We’re also far enough from the coast to avoid the hurricane-related bad weather that Houston experiences.
2. The traffic won’t give you nightmares. For some reason, it seems the street names are always changing in Houston. And why the drivers there are so speedy and aggressive, we’ll never know. In comparison, Austin is simple to navigate. If you make a wrong turn, it’s easy to get back on track.
3. A river runs through it. Situated on the banks of the Colorado River, Austin has Houston beat by a mile when it comes to scenic beauty. Head down to the river to see for yourself—and be sure to say hi to the Congress Ave. Bridge bats afterward! While you’re in town, don’t miss the Hill Country of the suburbs, Mount Bonnell, Zilker Park and so much more. We really could go on for days about the amount of natural beauty here in Austin.
4. It’s one of the most walkable cities in America. From the 6th Street District to South Congress, Austin is infinitely more walkable than Houston. In fact, exploring Austin on foot (or bicycle) is one of the best ways to discover some amazing out-of-the-way spots.
5. The music scene is off the charts. Although you can catch some cool shows in Houston, Austin is just about the best place in America to be a music fan. Between the incredible festivals like SXSW and Austin City Limits and the dozens of local venues hosting bands on any given night, there’s always music playing in Austin.
6. The Hill Country is beautiful. Houston is pretty flat—which is cool, if you’re into that—while Austin has a truly unique landscape. Surrounded by the rolling Texas Hill Country, the scenic and diverse area surrounding Austin looks like no place else in America.
7. There are endless opportunities to enjoy the outdoors. Austin is an impressively outdoor-focused city, which makes it the perfect place for anyone eager to keep up an active lifestyle in the great outdoors. Hit the river on a kayak or stand-up paddle board, head to Lake Travis to do some fishing, or hike, bike or jog your way through the 350-acre Zilker Metropolitan Park.
8. It’s big… but not too big. Houston is a HUGE city, and while Austin isn’t exactly tiny, it has the friendly feel of a small city nonetheless. It’s easy to find your way around, and there are endless unique districts and neighborhoods to explore.
9. The food is really, really, REALLY great. From Tex-Mex and classic Austin BBQ to outstanding cuisine from all over the world, Austin is the unofficial food capital of Texas. We also have an incredible variety of fantastic vegan, vegetarian and gluten-free eateries—more than anyplace else in the state.
10. It’s laid-back, relaxed and friendly. While Houston is fast-moving and can feel like it’s all business, Austin is a place where CEOs wear flip-flops. It’s friendly and low-stress, and Austinites are the kind of people who know exactly how lucky they are.
If you’re considering moving from Houston to Austin, contact us today to learn more about living in Austin, Texas. Not totally convinced that Austin should be the place you plant your roots? Here are so many more facts that may just entice you to relocate to the Texas capital.